Table of Contents
Are you trying for pregnancy? Before you enter this long journey of nine months, it is very essential to ensure good health. It’s more crucial if you wish to have a normal delivery.
If you rightly prepare yourself for pregnancy, you will increase the chance of a happy and safe pregnancy and childbirth. To assure a healthy pregnancy, you need to consult professionals for the right guidance.
Several best obstetricians in Melbourne are specializing in providing the proper pre-pregnancy care. Doctors will advise you on how to get ready for this exciting as well challenging journey.
Additionally, we have also discussed a few tips to get yourself ready for a pregnancy.
8 Tips To Get Ready For Pregnancy
Consult Your Obstetrician
Before pre-pregnancy planning, you must schedule an appointment with the healthcare providers for the right guidance. You can reach out to the best obstetricians and choose the one for you to guide you properly. This is how your OB will help you:
- Firstly, your obstetrician will discuss all your and your family’s health history as well as your current health. It is because there are chances of passing health issues from a family member to a child. If any such problems will be diagnosed, your OB might ask you to consult a genetic counselor.
- Doctors might go for blood tests or certain important vaccines according to your health condition before getting pregnant.
- OBs will also discuss the medicines and supplements you might be taking currently. This topic is important to talk about as it can impact the health of a baby. For this, they may change the medicines.
- Doctors will even ensure to maintain chronic diseases like diabetes or asthma before you conceive.
- If you are struggling with obesity, your obstetrician will advise losing excess weight before planning a pregnancy. It will help prevent complications during the pregnancy.
Have A Balanced Diet
Add a well-balanced diet to your daily eating plans for good health. A healthy body always assures a healthy and safe pregnancy. Here are a few simple approaches to follow:
- Have high protein-rich food such as lean meat, eggs, chicken, and pulses like lentils and beans.
- Eat dairy foods like yogurt, cheese, and milk which are high sources of calcium.
- Have green vegetables(cabbages, mung sprouts, and broccoli), whole grains, and fruits as they provide the essential nutrients for the healthy functioning of the body.
- Stop consuming artificial sweeteners and caffeine.
- Drink a lot of water as hydration is very important.
Must Read: Burst Pregnancy Stress
Maintain A Healthy Weight
A healthy weight can be estimated by the body mass index which should be between 20-25. If you are underweight or overweight, the probability of conceiving can be less. So, to improve the function of your ovaries, it is crucial to reach a healthy body weight.
Excess weight can increase the risk of certain health issues such as gestational diabetes, stillbirth, miscarriages, high blood pressure, and birth defects. Also, there can be chances of opting for cesarean childbirth.
If you are planning a pregnancy, use the BMI weight calculator to check your BMI. But sometimes it may fluctuate, so make sure to see the best obstetricians once. However, having nutritious food with proper exercise can enable you to maintain healthy body weight.
Take Folic Acid
Folic acids play a significant role in the development and health of a baby. It prevents the risks of certain birth defects such as spinal Bifida and cleft lip and palate.
Doctors recommend taking vitamin supplements that contain at least 0.4 mg of folic acid, 1-3 months before conception. Moreover, it is advised to have a higher dose of folic acid (1 to 4 mg) for women who have had high-risk pregnancies before. This should also be started 1-3 months before conceiving and continue till the 12 weeks of the first trimester.
Practice Right Exercises
Keeping yourself active while trying to conceive benefits in several ways. It prepares your body to meet all the changes that you will undergo during pregnancy, labor, and delivery.
If you do not exercise, join the exercise programs today. A brisk walk of 30 minutes and certain yoga poses are best to make you fit before conceiving and during all three trimesters.
Remember that, the amount of practice you need to do should be on the basis of your health condition and activeness before pregnancy. Therefore, do consult your doctor so that they might recommend the best exercise and advise how much is appropriate for you.
Quit Toxic Substances
It is the right idea to quit smoking, alcohol, or drugs. These toxic substances will not only negatively impact the health of you and your infant during pregnancy but also your capability to conceive.
Smoking might expose the growing baby to toxic chemicals, stop blood flow, low birth weight, and cause preterm labor and birth. Moreover, drinking alcohol leads to the danger of fetal alcohol syndrome, causing brain damage and growth issues.
On the other hand, consuming drugs brings the risk of birth defects, stillbirth, and miscarriage. If you are finding it difficult to quit all these toxic substances, discuss everything with your obstetrician during the preconception appointment.
Keep A Check On your Menstrual Cycle
To know what is the right time to conceive, you need to track your menstrual cycle. The solution is figuring out what is the duration of your ovulation.
You can start by recording the date your period starts and stops. In addition, notice the changes in the length of your menstrual cycle from month to month, cramp pains, or breast tenderness. Besides this, do check if there needs any addressing such as irregular spotting and heavy bleeding.
Also, learn to see physical symptoms showing you are ovulating like clear, flexible cervical mucus and an increase in basal body temperature. Though the normal menstrual cycle duration is approximately 28 days, it can vary from 21-35 days which is even a healthy range.
Stress Less And Rest
While you are planning pregnancy, try to stress less and take a lot of rest. Talk to the doctors about how you can manage reducing stress. Relaxation is very important as it will ease the process of conceiving.
There is so much to think about when planning to welcome a baby into the world. But with the right preparation, you can have a healthy and safe pregnancy. If you experience any health issues before conceiving, do let your obstetrician know about this.
Discussing with your doctor will provide a healthy guideline for future pregnancy plans.